I came home today with a thirst for an old fashioned but was COMPLETELY out of oranges…. OH NO!!
All was not lost, I decided to put a twist on my favorite cocktail. To the cabinet for the Maker’s Mark, a couple mint leaves from the deck and a lone apple from the fridge. The rest is history.
It’s just as refreshing as a crisp apple and cools to the core on a hot summer evening….
- 2 slices of fresh apple (pick your poison…I went with a fuji)
- 2 apple mint leaves (one goes in the drink and one for garnish)
- 1 tbsp demerara syrup
- 2oz Maker’s Mark Bourbon (hey….this 1.75 isn’t going to drink itself!)
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
How I did it:
- Add apple slices to sturdy mixing glass, muddle until sufficiently juiced
- Add one mint leaf and muddle gently (you don’t want the mint to overpower this drink…just accentuate the apple)
- Add in the demerara syrup, bourgon and bitters
- Add ice cubes and stir until sufficiently cold
- Strain into appropriate glass over an ice sphere (important…that apple and mint won’t look pretty mingling in your drink)
- Garnish with apple wheel and mint leaf